A to Z Survey

The Two Pound Tram by Newton, William New Edition (2004) - William Newton
H ~ Hidden Gem Book

I found this book while searching for a different book at the library. It was so small that I was intrigued. And when I read the synopsis, I had to check it out.

The book revolves around two young boys living in 1937. Their mother has eloped and their father taken up with other women, so they decide to go to London and buy a tram that they have seen advertised for 2 pounds.

This is one of those charming little books that you run into by chance. It often seemed like a fantasy, but in doing a little research, I believe it is based on the life of the author, though the book doesn't say this.

If you like reading a book that you can't easily classify, this little gem might fit the bill.

G ~ Glad You Gave This Book a Chance

I'm glad I finally read Dorian Gray, not because I liked it so much, but because at least I can get it off that subconscious list of "Books I know I should read someday, but I'll put off as long as I can. "

I'm also glad I read it, because I really love Oscar Wilde. I've only read his comedic works, though. It was good to read that he still kept his characteristic sly wit, even though the subject was a serious one.

F ~ Fictional Character You Probably Would Have Actually Dated in High School

A date with Hank Morgan would be a date with history. Imagine being taken to King Arthur's court. And dating someone the locals think is a magician. How awesome would that be?

Of course there would be that pesky little problem of my date getting himself sentenced to be burned at the stake, but no boyfriend's perfect, right?

E ~ E-reader or Physical Book
What do you mean, E-reader or Physical book? There is no or about it. It's E-reader and Physical book and Audiobook.

I'm not about to let any reading opportunity go by, so I read books I buy or get from the library on my Kindle, I read physical books I buy from the used bookstore and library sales and I listen to audiobooks that I buy, download from free audio sites (http://librivox.org; http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/) and from the library.

I enjoy all of these ways of reading. Then again, I also read cereal boxes when nothing else is available. That either makes me a very non-discriminatory reader or a member of a wonderful group of people known as Voracious Readers!

D ~ Drink of Choice While Reading

Being the incredibly exciting creature that I am, one would rightly expect me to have an exotic drink to hand whilst reading. I am always sorry to disappoint, but the best I can do is post a few incredible photos to illustrate my almost-constant beverage.

Image by "Fir0002/Flagstaffotos"

Image by Roger McLassus

I've never been fond of carbonated soft drinks, I don't like coffee and tea always seems to get cold before I can finish it. Being somewhat prone to spilling, water has always been my best bet. To be on the safe side while reading, I drink it from a water bottle I keep on the floor. This doesn't stop me from knocking it over, but at least the only thing getting wet is the rug. Better a damp rug than a damp book, right?

C ~ Currently Reading
Who knew that the telegraph was the greatest development in communications since the invention of the printing press? Certainly I didn't, but reading this fascinating book is giving me an education in a technology that I only associated with old movies wherein telegrams are tragically delivered and frantic messages are sent to warn the next town that the bridge is down and the train about to crash into a storm-swollen river. Little did I know!

Jack and Jill, not just a nursery rhyme. It's a very sweet story by Louisa May Alcott, who wrote a lot of very sweet stories that I often wished I lived in. (Audio I listen to in the car.)

Tulipmania in the Netherlands? Seriously? Very seriously. A race to breed a truly black tulip. Another thing I had no idea about: Obsession with flower cultivation. I'm getting a library book soon about a real-life scandal in the orchid world. The things you learn from books! (Audio I listen to during my prep time at work.)

Reading one of the blogs here, I came across an Amanda Quick historical romance I hadn't read (only because my library doesn't have it). I'm remedying that now!

B ~ Best Sequel Ever (that I can think of at the moment)

Unfortunately, a lot of sequels aren't as good as the first book. But in the Little House series, each book is about a different part of Laura's childhood, not written to outdo the previous book, but add to it. In that way I love These Happy Golden Years, because it brought a close to Laura's childhood, as she becomes a teacher, and moves into her married life.

A last book was published from a manuscript written by Laura, but never edited. It was published after Almonzo, Laura and Rose (the daughter) had died. The First Four Years is a chronicling of the first four years of Laura and Almonzo's marriage, as they attempt to make their living as farmers. It deals with four years that were filled with ruined crops, illness, and death. In spite of the harshness, it is a book well worth reading for Laura Ingalls Wilder fans.

Beginning
One of my BL's friends did an A-Z book survey created by Perpetual Page Turner.

I'm going to do it, too. I'll do one letter at a time, but on this same post. So it will end up backwards. Not surprising for me, eh? And don't be shocked if I tweak it just a little.

A ~ Author you've read the most.

If you checked out the link, you can see I start right off with a tweak. I know ending a sentence with a preposition isn't as frowned upon as it used to be, but ending this sentence with 'from' was too much for me.

I wondered if I had to count different books or if I could count books I've read more than once. I decided to go with total reads, in which case Louisa May Alcott wins hands down. Sadly, her hands are down and she writes no more.

Happily, I haven't read all of her books yet. I'm currently adding to the total Alcott count as I listen to Jack and Jill. It's a sweet story of simpler times. I love simpler times.