30-Day October Book Challenge ~ Day 26

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science - Norman Doidge

Day 26 ~ A book that changed your opinion about something

I've always been fascinated by how the brain works. As a teacher I can almost see the cogs and wheels turning as my students take in new information and it fascinates me trying to figure out how their brains work.

This book explores neuroplasticity which says that the brain is not a static organ, but is capable of changes in neural pathways and synapses. Scientists are developing ways of helping people rewire their brains after injuries, strokes and other traumas.

The author, Norman Doidge, is able to explain these medical advances in a way that kept me glued to the book. (Fortunately, it wasn't Super Glue and I was able to separate myself from the book before it was due at the library.)

One of the most fascinating stories involved a women with damaged inner ears who had lived for years with a debilitating sense of falling, even when lying prone on the ground. She was able to regain her sense of balance with a sensor placed on her tongue.

Each story expanded my knowledge about how much the brain is capable of doing and how limitless the scope is of a person's dreams about what they can achieve.