30-Day October Book Challenge ~ Day 24

Flyboys: A True Story of Courage - James Bradley Flags of Our Fathers - James Bradley, Ron Powers

Day 24 ~ A book that you wish more people would've read

I don't normally tell people they must read a certain book. I don't even abnormally tell them that.

I told two people about this book: My father and my sister. I figured that they'd either relent under my constant harping about the book or refuse to talk to me until I stopped talking about it. Fortunately, they both decided to read it and they loved it as much as I did. Maybe I should start telling more people what they should read.

I'm not a history or WWII buff, but this book really captured my interest. I sat on the sofa glued to this story of nine American Navy and Marine aviators shot down off the Japanese-held island of Chichi Jima in February 1945. I was fascinated, appalled, mesmerized and horrified at various times during my reading.

James Bradley also wrote Flags of our Fathers. His own father was one of the six men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima.

The story of what happened to those men is as good as Flyboys. I'm not sure which one of the two books I should tell you to read. Best just read both and avoid my haranguing you forever.