SPOILER ALERT!

Quotes

The Magnificent Ambersons (Classic Reprint) - Booth Tarkington Rebecca - Daphne du Maurier A Wallflower Christmas (Wallflowers, Book 5) - Lisa Kleypas The Forbidden Lord - Sabrina Jeffries A Wicked Liaison - Christine Merrill

Quotes

Most Poignant

If you haven't read The Magnificent Ambersons by Booth Tarkington, read no further and go read The Magnificent Ambersons. Published in 1918 it won the 1919 Pulitzer Prize.The quote is from the end of the book and it really can't be appreciated if you haven't read up to this point.

"The elevator boy noticed nothing unusual about him and neither did Fanny, when she came in from church with her hat ruined, an hour later. And yet something had happened— a thing which, years ago, had been the eagerest hope of many, many good citizens of the town. They had thought of it, longed for it, hoping acutely that they might live to see the day when it would come to pass. And now it had happened at last: Georgie Minafer had got his comeuppance.

He had got it three times filled and running over."

"Georgie Minafer had got his comeuppance, but the people who had so longed for it were not there to see it, and they never knew it. Those who were still living had forgotten all about it and all about him."

Best Opening Line Ever

The opening to Rebecca is a paragraph, but the first line is really all you need to be drawn into the story.

"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again . . ."

Sweetly Sexiest

St. Vincent: "Have you been a good girl in my absence?"
Evie: "Yes, of course."
St. Vincent: "We'll have to remedy that immediately. I refuse to tolerate proper behavior from my wife."
Evie: "I've missed you, Sebastian"
St. Vincent: "Have you, love? What part did you miss the most?"
Evie: "Your mind"
St. Vincent: "I was hoping for a far more depraved answer than that"
Evie: "Your mind is depraved," she told him solemnly.

Forbidden Lord (by Sabrina Jeffries)

It was like discovering that the unicorn you revered for its magical powers was really a horse with a horn attached. It made you want to tear off the horn and kick the horse.

From: Wicked Liaison, Christine Merrill

"You thought I would come to harm from Barton?"

She looked at him incredulously. "I was terrified. You must have known what I would think."

"That I would go into the darkness and let him brawl with me, in a public park? Not knowing who he might have brought with him for aid or what trap might await me? I'm sorry to disappoint you, darling, but I ran like a rabbit until I was quite sure he was lost on the paths, and then I came here. And I can assure you; I am quite unharmed."